Friday 30 March 2018

The Most Controversial Match in the history of Snooker

Snooker is a gentleman's sport.As  it is part of the game, snooker players usually remain calm and don't express in a violent or out of norms' way when gets frustrated. But sometimes it gets nasty.

Something real controversial  happened in 1996 when Ronnie O'Sullivan played Alain Robidoux of Canada in World Snooker Championship.In the last frames the 20-year-old Ronnie O'Sullivan decided to play several shots with his left hand (as he usually does) which pissed Alain Robidoux off and therefore Alain decides not to concede despite being way behind with no chance of winning.

At the end of the match, in which O'Sullivan produced two century breaks, Robidoux did not shake hands. "He started it. He didn't shake hands with me at the start, so I did the same to him,'' he explained.
The feud continued when O'Sullivan then savaged Robidoux in a radio interview. "He was rubbish - he shouldn't have been on the same table as me. I was rubbish as well, but I still beat him 10-3,'' said O'Sullivan.

When asked why he had played left-handed, O'Sullivan added:
"I felt comfortable playing left-handed. I've made 90-breaks with my left-hand - I'm better with my left hand than he was with his right.
Later on Ronnie O'Sullivan was summoned to a disciplinary hearing in response to Robidoux's formal complaint, where he had to prove that he could play to a high level with his left hand. He played three frames of snooker against former world championship runner-up Rex Williams, winning all three. The charge of bringing the game into disrepute was subsequently dropped.
Here is the full video to the last frames of the match and press conference.

No comments:

Post a Comment